Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Storytelling

I have always loved stories.

I developed a love for reading when I was very little, loving to crawl up next to my parents and have them read to me. When I learned how to read on my own, I would curl up in a chair and read to myself for hours on end. My favorite spot to read was under the branches of an old oak tree in the front yard of my house. I found myself drawn into stories very easily, laughing and crying along with the characters, cheering on the hero every step of the way.

When I wasn't reading, I was inventing tales of my own, using action figures and Lego creations for the different characters. Every game with my little sister turned in to a quest of epic proportions. As I got older and my interest in action figures decreased, the stories did not go away. I experimented with comics, but I discovered that I had little to no artistic ability. I have tried to write short stories before, yet I never liked the results for some reason, even if others were impressed. This lead to my habit of daydreaming.

I have continued daydreaming into my young adult life. I am constantly thinking of new story ideas, constantly reworking them, constantly running them over and over in my head. I am currently attempting to find a medium with which to express these stories. I am going take another crack at writing, maybe even return to comics or experiment with film. There are epic tales unfolding within my head, and I desire to share them with the world.

Perhaps you, too, have a story to tell. Try and find a creative outlet, a medium with which to communicate your epic. Even if you do not become a storyteller in profession, you may find out something about yourself that you never knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment